Home Safety

There is nothing more important than your family.  Keeping them safe is always a top priority, but sometimes the danger is not as obvious as a hole in the floor or a missing railing on a stairway.

Today I wanted to speak with you about the importance of testing your smoke detectors, checking the batteries, and most importantly the hidden dangers of carbon monoxide in the home.

I would like to start off with a few questions to get you thinking-

  1.  When was the last time you pressed the test button on one of your smoke detectors, or even looked up to see if it was operational?
  2. Do you have fire extinguishers?
  3. Are they the right class of extinguishers for your kitchen or garage?
  4. Do you have any carbon monoxide detectors?
  5. Can you name some things in your home that give off carbon monoxide?

 

Well now that you have had a minute I would like to go over the questions with you.

1. You should be testing the alarms throughout your home at least once a month.  You should also have multiple alarms on each level of your home.  This includes in each bedroom, and in any hallway outside a bedroom.  

2. You should have at least two fire extinguishers in your home.  One in the kitchen, and one in the garage.  Personally I recommend an additional one in a closet for safety.

3. You should never have a class A extinguisher in the kitchen or garage.   or APW extinguishers (air-pressurized water) are suitable for class A fires only. Never use a water extinguisher on grease fires, electrical fires or class D fires – the flames will spread and make the fire bigger! Water extinguishers are filled with water and are typically pressurized with air. Again – water extinguishers can be very dangerous in the wrong type of situation. Only fight the fire if you’re certain it contains ordinary combustible materials only.    Any area with flammable materials should have a class B or BC.  For household electronics, and general fires I recommend a CO2 extinguisher since it leaves no residue.

4. Carbon monoxide detectors are beginning to become more common as the dangers are becoming more apparent.  A small carbon monoxide leak in your home may not be fatal , but it can result in headaches, nausea, sleepiness, and other health issues.   A large leak can be fatal in just a short time.  It is a colorless, odorless gas that can quickly overtake you, especially if you are sleeping.

5. Some of the things in your home that emit carbon monoxide are : Water heaters, furnaces, gas dryers, portable heaters gas oven or stove, or even a car warming up in your attached garage.

 

Carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive when it comes to family safety.   CO alarms should be installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions. the  Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends that one CO alarm be installed in the hallway outside the bedrooms in each separate sleeping area of the home. CO alarms may be installed into a plug-in receptacle or high on the wall. Hard wired or plug-in CO alarms should have battery backup. Avoid locations that are near heating vents or that can be covered by furniture or draperies. CPSC does not recommend installing CO alarms in kitchens or above fuel-burning appliances.

 

 

Leave a Comment